A lot of people who we thought were pro-life actually aren't and were just giving lip service to the cause. They enjoyed getting paid for speeches and essays but in their hearts they were perfectly fine with Roe and the money it brought them. I've been very surprised by the tepid response from a number of priests and bishops. One professional Catholic hates President Trump so much that he can't bring himself to be happy. He's the worst of the bunch but most of the professional Catholics have not responded with joy. I hope people are taking note.
Friday, June 24, 2022
Thursday, June 16, 2022
- This piece on Old St. Mary's in DC is interesting but left me a bit unsettled. My godmother, was one of those little old ladies who attended the Monday novena and one of my earliest memories is going to St. Mary's with her and looking up at the Pieta statue with awe. The author of the essay says everything was gray and depressing. I thought that old church was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Old women like my godmother and the Chinese parishioners who kept the parish going deserved more respect than the essay gives. They weren't famous or rich but they had souls to save and they faithfully attended back when walking alone in Chinatown in the morning or night was dangerous. Cardinal Gregory, it's been whispered has turned a jaundiced eye towards the parish and in the end, it must might be those frumpy, uninteresting, old nobodies who save the parish again.
- If you are a prepper it's time to go dark about it. If your family and friends haven't learned to plan for emergencies by now, they won't.
- I have found that it's best to skip reading Fr. Z. unless I want a pasta recipe because I just end up irritated and a little sad but I noticed on Canon 212 that Fr. blasted Gloria TV for reporting a story about a confraternity that turned a church in Rome into a dinning hall for a few hours in order to feed the needy. Father Z is in Rome eating and drinking and posting cute travel videos. Why he got upset with Gloria TV, which is not a minor Trad site , by the way, for noting while yes, we should and are commanded to care for the poor, reducing the house of God, which should be for His worship, to a feeding station is a mystery to me. My only guess is that Fr. feels this way because the confraternity is affiliated with the FSSP and you're a bad Trad if you don't cheer for absolutely everything any FSSP priest does. I think that's baloney. Also Rome apparently doesn't have any parish halls or civic centers the confraternity could have used to do this. Sure.....
I hope the Blessed Sacrament was removed for the event but neither Gloria TV nor Fr. Z. said so.
Saturday, June 04, 2022
- Nigerian Christians are being terrorized and nobody seems to care. Priests and seminarians have been kidnapped and murdered. A church was attacked on Pentecost Sunday and the estimates are 50 or more people were slaughtered. Villages have been burnt, a young woman was lynched...Where is the Catholic media?
- Is the new Obi Wan show so bad that Disney/Lucas Film is ginning up a faux controversy to fool people into watching it?
- Why are people so gleefully evil towards sedevaticantists? Is it the group-think need to have someone on the outside to hate? I don't agree with them but they are Catholic and deserve civility. If you can plop yourself down to a seder at your parish or say not a word of protest when your priest hands over your parish hall to Muslims, while they build their mosque down the street then why NOT do the brotherhood of man song and dance in regards to a Sede?
Your archbishop has a woman's nick-name. There haven't been ten men ordained in one year for decades in your diocese. You can't recall the last time you saw a real nun on the parish grounds, much less at Mass. The "Catholic" high school is celebrating sexual sin and Confession is about 30 minutes once a week at your parish--if Fr. isn't busy Tweeting or doing his You Tube videogame review. There's less than 50 people at Mass but you have two Eucharist Ministers. The head of your RCIA program is loudly pro-abortion and not one thing will be done about it... Are things so wonderful that you can cheerfully damn a Sede on the Internet, whom you don't even know, to Hell for looking at all this and trying to find an answer? Would you ever even dream of treating a Lutheran or Mormon the way I've seen Sedes talked to in Catholic social media?
Are there annoying Sedes? Yes, but of course. Some are downright obnoxious. Some have been driven mad and you just can't talk to them. There are also calm, erudite sedevaticantists who are able to make their argument with dignity and clarity. Again, I don't agree with them. If there hasn't been a pope since 1958, I don't see how we can ever have one again. The last cardinals made by Pius XII must be over 100 by now and may be in their dotage. I can make that point without going, "Shut up you stupid, sub-human Sede and go to Hell."St. Charles Lwanga, pray for us.