Sunday, May 21, 2006

veil follies

Well, I went Ebay shopping again and bought two gorgeous chapel veils for church and they look dreadful on me. I mean they look so wrong that I would never wear them outside the house. Is there some company or some nice woman somewhere who is sewing up veils that don't look silly on a short woman? I already own one that is really beautiful but it is so long that I feel like I'm a little kid wearing my mommy's veil which is why I decided to get these new ones from Ebay.

I ususually wear a chapel cap but I dislike having to stop and pull out bobby pins to secure it. Ideally I'd like to have a nice soft veil that won't stand up like its been starched or fly away when I move. I want something that doesn't look dumb on a 5 foot tall woman.
Oh well. Now I need to find my digital camera so I can sell the two veils I bought this weekend because I can't return the darn things.

3 comments:

Carolina Cannonball said...

After you hand wash it w/ some woolight & fabric softener and then toss it in the dryer (on lowest setting) with a dozen dryer sheets, it should be soft enough not to stick out. I had the flying nun syndrome with my first viel because it was so stiff when I bought it. I like the chapel caps because I am too much o a chicken to go full blown mantilla. LOL

Dymphna said...

Thanks! I'm going to get out the fabric softener now.

Mac McLernon said...

I started wearing a mantilla - very simple, just a triangular piece of material - about a year ago. If its made from soft lace, it should stay put (I only use pins when wearing it outside - open-air Mass at the Grotto at Lourdes, for example)

...but I'd love to see the veil you think doesn't look right on you. Any chance of a photo?