Saturday, September 08, 2007

catholic lady frumpiness----

Kathy Shaidle at Relasped Catholic is a heck of a writer and I check her blog everyday. However, she's not sweetness and light. In fact, I get the impression that Kathy is extremely pissed right now because her boyfriend's annulment proceedings are taking so long. She does not like Jamaicans much and loathes Muslims. She's also quite disgusted with young Catholic women who go around looking like potato sacks.

I abominate deliberate ugliness so I completely reject this trend. There is no virtue is looking so unnattractive that your husband has to put on a brave face in order to perform his marital duties but Kathy is so harsh in her condemnation that I think she might drive some of her readers in the opposite direction.

4 comments:

DigiHairshirt said...

I don't know, Dymphna, I think she has a point. You can look good without being vain, but at the same time I have to wodner if those ladies who walk about in shapeless shifts and yell, "Modesty!" are really taking the easy way out and avoiding not only dressing well, but taking care of themselves, too.

I mean, I could embrace "naturalness" and stop taking a razor to my legs, telling people that it is the ecologically moral thing to do and the planet is more important than my leg hairs, but I don't think anyone wants to see a pair of gams to rival Sasquatch's in hairiness.

Mrs Jackie Parkes MJ said...

well i don't think i'll be paying a visit! & we have no problems in the marital dept!

Dymphna (4HisChurch) said...

Interesting post-- both yours and hers. I do try to dress modestly, but I feel like I don't have a lot of fashion "sense" and I do have a bit of an addiction to comfort. I am blessed that my husband likes me in longer skirts and doesn't go for the "prostitute look. I do have a bit of envy for women who can look "put together" all the time. Although, since I've begun to try to cover my head in church, I'm beginning to be known as some sort of weird fashion maven because I occasionally will wear a hat instead of a scarf.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

"There is no virtue is looking so unnattractive that your husband has to put on a brave face in order to perform his marital duties"

Or your wife, for that matter, as St louis IX of France said.

Was just reading Stephanie Mann who linked to Chesterton whom I was just reading, who quoted this.