Wednesday, November 26, 2014

A rather sobering Last Supper

This drawing of the Last Supper is interesting and in particular because of the way the unknown artist portrays Judas. Obviously, he's the only one in the dinning room with no halo but look at his body posture.  Everyone else is following Jesus with rapt attention. They are leaning towards Him with hands either clasped in prayer or outstretched in supplication  but Judas sits stiffly with his elbow on the table and his knees crossed in a studied imitation of casualness. One hand is  directed away from the Lord and the other is clinching his precious blood money.  He is in the room with the Lord and the others but inside he's already gone.  This drawing  deftly illustrates the hardened, smug sinner who does not even acknowledge to himself that he is a sinner, at Mass.

Some such as St. Augustine and St. John Chrysostom say that Judas took Communion  and was the first to eat and drink condemnation for this profanity. Others speculate that Judas left before Our Lord instituted the Holy Eucharist or defer to Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich who said that the bread  fell from Judas's hand before he could consume it.  Either way is a rather sobering lesson and a warning about the deadly seriousness about receiving Our Lord's precious blood and body while in a state of mortal sin.

1 comment:

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

How is it when one suspects one may have committed a sin of wrath just before going to Communion after last Confession which was same day?

That was what I did, I concluded "probably involuntary, since I was soooo tired" when approaching Communion at Midnight Mass in St Nicholas du Chardonnet. Christmas 2009.

I had not slept during the day. Some homeless had slept in the pews during the day, and an usher had been waking them up.

I was dead tired at 8 pm, asked a priest if it would be a sin to go and get a coffee before Communion and got a non-charitable answer, as if I had asked if I could get drunk before Communion.

When I came (not too far away) to where Caritas were usually giving coffee, no one was there. I got back to Church without coffee.

So, when I approached Communion, I got angry at the priest. I went anyway.

Next day I heard the news Susanna Maiolo had floored Ratzinger. After reading she had been in mental hospital, I concluded she had been angry at the Church for allowing whoever had been mistreating her.

I did not feel sorry even for Ratzinger, after hearing he put her AGAIN into asylum, and most certainly not for Etchegaray, whom I had heard described as a modernist among certain trads (not sure if those were Sedes or other).

So, how about another sobering thought: if you are a priest, if such a homeless has gone to confession and is going to communion, do NOT provoke him to anger.

And remember, with too little sleep, it may take a smaller thing than otherwise.