Sunday, February 04, 2024

Showing up at church is not enough

 Something happened at Mass a few years ago that still disturbs me. A family came in late and pushed past an older lady. She got up and moved to another pew. The oldest boy whispered something to the father. The man snapped that the woman was just crazy.  He said it  loud enough that I, sitting a few pews back, heard him. I think the woman must have heard him too. I never saw her again. 

This woman was a parishioner of many years. She was always reserved but friendly to me and struck me as being a very nervous and sensitive soul. I hope she just started going to Mass at a different time or at a different parish. 

Guys, you may have a beard like Moses, wear a Savile Row suit and have a family size to rival the Patriarch Jacob's and you may lead your family to church every Sunday but if you act like a jerk when you get there what lesson are you teaching them?