Saturday, April 14, 2007

something I've been brooding about

My mother is a Baptist. She thinks it's great that Rocky and I are Catholic, she's always happy to go to Mass with us, she's been through RCIA but she won't convert. I think she feels it would be something of a betrayal to her parents memories.

I've spoken to four priests about Mama. One, the youngest, clearly didnt' want to distress me but clearly didn't want to say "don't worry about it". The others --one an old priest, the others were in their early 30s--- all told me not to be concerned. The church, they told me has taught since the 40s that Mama is part of the Holy Catholic Church because she is a Christian. She does not know this and obviously doesn't have the fullness of the Faith but what she does have is enough to get her to Heaven. I want to believe this but didn't Pope Leo (I forget which one) say that heretics shall not enter Heaven? I'm going to keep praying that if it is necessary for her salvation that Mama converts one day.

5 comments:

Vir Speluncae Catholicus said...

Hey Dymph,
I hope I'm not strpping over the line here, but you might want to pass this on to your mother...

I understand that she might look upon converson to Catholicism as a betrayal to her parents, but if she really is interested in her spiritual heritage (from the African perspective), have her take a peek at some of the links below;

St Charles Lwanga & Companions - http://www.catholic-forum.com/Saints/saintc13.htm

St Benedict the Moor - http://www.catholic-forum.com/saintS/saintb20.htm

St Moses the Black - http://www.catholic-forum.com/Saints/saintm34.htm

And lastly, The Ge'ez Rite (Ethiopian)Catholic Church - 14th & M Sts. S.E. Washington DC. - http://kidane-mehret.org/desk1.html

If you ever get the chance, consider attending one of their liturgies that's celebrated in the ancient Ge'ez (Ethiopian).

As you already know, I attend the Traditional Latin Mass, but I've also been fortunant to assist at a Melkite (Palestinian Catholic) Liturgy celebrated in the ancient Aramaic, Ukrainian Catholic celebrated in the ancient Slavonic, as well as a Chaldean (Iraqi Catholic) Liturgy celebrated in the ancient Chaldean.

All were, in every sense of the word, stunning.

Dymphna said...

Thansk Vir! You're not stepping over the line. I'll take any advice I can get here. I'll pass these on to Mamma.

Paul Nichols said...

Hi Dymphna -

Got to your blog because someone went to my Mantilla page - thanks for the purchase, by the way.

Anyway, this post about your beloved Mama hits close to home. Someone I know recoils in horror at the Church simply because she was raised to hate Her. One of those protestants where it's part of the family tradition to hate Catholics.

Dymphna said...

Hi Paul, I absolutely love my notebook!

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

You are right to pray for her conversion.

Great Bishop of Geneva!
http://greatbishopofgeneva.blogspot.com


I wish I had as much charity for some clearly Protestant kinsmen. But they have been more persecuting than your ma.