Saturday, January 12, 2008

On the last day of Christmas my true love

and I went to Mass, of course. It was at St. Rita's and Fr. Donahue gave his usual sterling homily. After Mass I got to thinking about all the silly fads that have swept the church during my lifetime. Remember the old hippie cantor strumming tunelessly on a guitar? Remember those stupid burlap banners and acting out the gospel at the kiddie Mass? Remember Fr. telling jokes and even cursing on occasion in order to be "relevant"? Remember Sr. reading the Gospel?Ugh!


Communion in the hand is one of those unfortuneate fads. I know it's permitted but I don't feel good about it. No-one should touch the Host but the priest (Eucharistic Ministers are a lousy developement and have become such a powerful group that woe to the priest who tries to get rid of them in his parish.). On the fabulous Carolina Cannonball blog there is a brilliant post on this subject. Communion in the hand doesn't contribute to reverence of the Blessed Sacrament, allows for abuses--- people pocketing Jesus for later consumption as if our God was a snack, people taking the Host home, people sharing the Host with friends---- and I don't see any good that has come from it. God bless, this bishop for speaking up for the Holy Eucharist.