Wednesday, June 04, 2008

confessions

  • I don't like G.K. Chesterton.

  • I think C.S. Lewis should've stopped after Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It was a truly great book. All the rest in the series bored me.

  • I've never been able to get through the Reed of God by Caryll Houselander.

  • I don't see the point of the Charismatic movement. If you start rolling around the floor and laughing in my presence unless you are three years old, I'm going to assume it's a seizure or the DTs and not the Holy Spirit.

  • I think most professional lay apologists are half a step from Elmer Gantry.

  • I wish the Church would just let the whole World Youth Day thing go.

  • If I see that a parish has a NeoCatechumical Way group I leave----fast.

  • I think that JPII was a very holy man but I don't want him to be cannonized yet. Let's calm down and give the Church time to prudently examine his case.

  • I think Medjugorje is a crock.

  • The Catholic Back to the landers make me roll my eyes.

8 comments:

ken88 said...

With the expception of the GK Chesteron dislike, you and I are on the same exact page.

Terry Nelson said...

OMIGOSH! I agree completely - altho I do like much of what GK wrote, I could never be part of his society or classify myself as a diehard fan.

Sanctus Belle said...

I'm with you Dymphna as well. I must admit I haven't read anything by Chesterton and I have a gut level negative reaction to all things charismatic/hand waving/praise and worhip music/etc. I wouldn't go so far as to say medjugore is a crock, but nothing could make me go there unless it was approved by the church - but deep down I don't believe it at all.

Andy Nowicki said...

Dymphna, why don't you like GKC? I think he's overrated in some circles, and he has an irritating tendency to be overly smitten with his own cleverness, but I think he's a brilliant writer just the same.

As for Narnia, I think THE SILVER CHAIR kicks @ss, personally. But I understand your point.

Dymphna said...

Andy, I think it's because the Catholic circles I move in consider Chesterton love to be a near requirement for being a serious Catholic. I just can't get into his stuff, even the Fr. Brown stories.

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

I'm on board with you 100%

especially with WYD, Lifeteen, and any other form of "releventizing" the Liturgy, as well as Medugorje and the Charismatic heresy

liturgy said...

Thanks for this reflection and site.
Please visit Liturgy
And consider linking as “Liturgy” or “Liturgy (ecumenical).
And consider embedding http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgqtebNm3Fg&eurl=http://www.liturgy.co.nz/naked/liturgist.html
Blessings

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

I do like GKC.

I do like the whole Narniad and am writing a fan fic continuation here

I don't know Reed of God.

The Charismatics I had some experience of were not rolling around the floor.

I don't know what or who Elmer Gantry is, and am a lay apologist myself.

(I looked it up, it was not Elmer J. Fudd as I had suspected and I don't like Sinclair Lewis)

World Youth Day? Probably agree.

Neocatechumenate? Agree.

"Let's calm down and give the Church time to prudently examine his case." Hear, hear!

We know who didn't, and who did even less prudent examination with Roncalli!

"I think Medjugorje is a crock" If word means fraud, you might probably be right.

"Back to the landers" - If you mean neo-agrarians feel free to roll your eyes when you see me commenting - or tell me not to.