Friday, June 11, 2010

Sacred Heart images :Good, bad, and downright cringeworthy.



The above image of Our Lord was done in 1896 by Jose Maria Ibarran y Ponce. I like it. On the other hand, I really, really hate this particular image of Our Lord. It's so girly. What on earth was Simione thinking? This one is taken out once a year at my church. It's better than the Simione one but that little mustache and the goateed beard are horrible. As far as modern art goes this image is probably the best image Our Lord and His Sacred Heart I've seen.


5 comments:

Old Bob said...

Hi, Dymphna, the "girly" one hung in the kitchen of my parents' house when I was very small. Take away the beard, mustache, lipstick, and rouge, and you have a picture of my dad when he was about forty. Hmmmm . . . I wonder if that influenced my attitude toward him and Him any?

Dymphna said...

It's the rouge and the lipstick that kils me.

Mary Ann said...

I agree with you, Dymphna, it's the lipstick and the rouge. Who designs these things? Disney's crew?

Lola said...

I like the Batoni image. I've not remember ever seeing it. And I grew up with a Grandma who had a collection of Jesus' especially the Sacred Heart image.

The modern image of Our Lord is breathtaking. Luminous.

Love it.

Thank you for sharing.

Who's the artist?

Dymphna said...

The modern Sacred Heart painting is by Cameron Smith.