Friday, October 08, 2010

what a week




It's been an exhausting week at work. We had an extremely labor intensive project and so I'm glad to see Friday come. I found myself thinking wistfully about the movie, Into the Great Silence.

Carthusians live what looks like a simple, romantic life high in the snowy mountains but a weak person would find it grueling. The monks never stop working. If they aren't laboring, they are at prayer. I wouldn't last a week at a Carthusian monastery but everytime I got tired of my project and daydreamed about Into the Great Silence it was like a tiny moment of vacation.

2 comments:

Anita Moore said...

I don't think I'd last a week even in an ordinary monastery. The Dominican Nuns of Linden, Virginia, for instance, get up at 3:30 a.m. to recite Matins.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

Oh, you mean as part of it, not on a retreat.

3 or 3:30 is when monks at Le Barroux recite matins too.

I did once, but rest of week not. (If it was the one week retreat - and also if the somewhat longer one, since a week was part of it, and I was not doing matins rest of that week).