Monday, July 29, 2013

It's Rocky's birthday and random thoughts


*There's an interesting thread on raising children on Rorate Caeli. Some of it's good. Some of it made me grimace. Parenting is hard and everybody makes mistakes. The trick is to not make the kind of mistakes that will have your kid sitting in a psychiatrist's office 30 years from now.


*It's Rocky's 49th birthday. It is absolutely amazing to me to think that we've spent more years together than we did with our parents. Rocky is the kindest of men. He's always been my number one champion. No matter what, forever and ever, I know Rocky is on my side and has my best interests at heart. He is good to my mother and  gentle and patient with my uncle who has dementia. On top of that, he's still the best looking man in the room no matter where we go. St. Martha, Rocky's patron saint, pray for him.



*One of the worst things a Catholic can do is be miserable all the time. Even when you're right nobody can endure being exposed to dark-as-night levels of despair day in and day out. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The pope is going to do whatever he's going to do. Bishops and priests can let us down and they do but the biggest troublemaker of all is fellow laymen and women.



* Speaking of laymen, who decides who gets to be a public apologist? 


* Do we have to keep doing WYD? If it's so great, where are all the vocations? Someone give me a concrete number of priests who said they answered Our Lord's call because of their experiences at a World Youth Day. I've heard anecdotes that Fr. So and So was inspired at a WYD or that Sr. So and So became a nun because of her weekend away but anecdotes aren't trustworthy. I also know very nice and college educated people who swear that they heard of a Black woman who named her twins Lemonjello and Orangejello. I've heard that story far too many times and every single person who's told it to me over the years swears that the twins were only recently born.  Anecdotes, tall tales, wishing thinking, lies. I want to see some hard facts and figures.


*I was visiting my uncle in the nursing home yesterday and one of his neighbors mentioned to my mother than nobody from the local parish has been there with Communion or to lead the Rosary in weeks. The local Protestant churches manage to have volunteers who come every Sunday and  even during the week to see about the sick and the elderly but the Catholic residents don't want to attend a Protestant service and have had nothing. That's disgusting and it infuriates me.

 Every busybody wants to be on the parish counsel or a Eucharistic Minister (in Church only, no sick calls please) but nobody wants to do the unpleasant stuff. I'm not asking for volunteers to give my uncle a bath, that's what I'm for but I wish I saw Catholic men and women in the nursing homes singing or running a Bingo game or just sitting and talking with a poor soul who hasn't had a visitor in over a month. The ladies from the AME church of the street from my uncle's nursing home come and sit. They bring treats, knitted items and they sing. I often see a Primitive Baptist (no that's not a pejorative, it's the name of the denomination), Deaconess and her teenaged grandson who come to visit.  The Jehovah's Witness men and women somehow find time to listen, pat a hand and pray over an old gray head. Where the heck are my Catholic people?


*Forget Twilight. THIS is a love story.



9 comments:

Mrs. H. said...

Thank you for saying what I was thinking about World Youth Day. It is the elephant in the living room. If it were so effective the nursing homes, etc. would be bursting with young people there to hold old hands and sing. It is more or less a party week=end with some "Catholic" stuff thrown in, which you really can't even see because there are 3 million other revelers in front of you. Somehow it reminds me of Mardi
Gras. I truly think we are hanging on to this expensive party because Pope John Paul II started it and it would seem like heresy or a slam against him to drop it now.
Happy
birthday, Rocky! You sound like a gem!

Lynne said...

Mea culpa! I keep saying I'm going to go to the local nursing home and start volunteering. My daughter, while still living at home works full-time. I have lots of free time. I will call today! Thank you, Dymphna (and I hope Rocky has a wonderful birthday, he already has a wonderful wife). :-)

AngelBoy said...

Maybe your disgust and infuriation is the Holy Spirit prompting YOU to help organize a team of Catholic volunteers to do the work you wish they did.

Lola said...

Touché except for the smattering of condemnation and not healthy let alone Christian conviction in your pithy comment above AB. Lovely Ms. Dymphna is already visiting the home and bringing comfort to her uncle.

I've seen on Undercover Boss, one employee was making visits to a nursing home a couple of times a week. Her mother had been a patient there and on her passing years before decided to continue visiting, bringing flowers from the hotel to cheer the residents.

Dymphna, I get what your referring to with the lack of organized parish volunteers and I might just check with my parish for visiting our local nursing homes when the darlings go back to school. We have lots of them here in Retirement village. Many of the residents don't have children close.
Why wait until school starts? I don't trust my kids in unfamiliar surroundings.

Urban legends are ridiculous. I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to stop someone with the FOAF (friend of a friend) tip-off. If a FOAF is the subject it's probably malarkey. Snopes is a fun site. I don't think your college educated friends ever took Dr. Frank's "Folklore" class.

And as far as WYD? I almost was able to go to the Denver one way back. I'm glad I didn't go, since my personality is grated by those warm fuzzies. I'm a little uptight. People used to tell me I need a drink! I'd tell them to have one for me.

Joe Potillor said...

Amen!

Dymphna said...

God bless you, Lola.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

Even if it is too late to say happpy birthday for that year, but hope he had one, I will mention now that 29th of July was ringing a bell.

No, not Sts Peter and Paul, that is 29th of June.

Here it is:

"Olaf II Haraldsson (995 – 29 July 1030), later known as St. Olaf, was King of Norway from 1015 to 1028. He was posthumously given the title Rex Perpetuus Norvegiae (English: Eternal/Perpetual King of Norway) and canonised in Nidaros (Trondheim) by Bishop Grimkell, one year after his death in the Battle of Stiklestad on 29 July 1030. His remains were enshrined in Nidaros Cathedral, built over his burial site."

You can descend from an Antichrist like Odin and still be a good Christian - Saint Olaf did and was!

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

"Speaking of laymen, who decides who gets to be a public apologist?"

God's providence.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

On the note of the love story:

When Les and Helen Brown became high school sweethearts more than 75 years ago, their parents didn’t believe the match would last. Les’ father was a businessman and prosperous landowner in Southern California. Helen’s father worked on the railroad. “Both families were not too thrilled about the union,” their son Les Brown Jr. told TODAY.com. “The good news is they proved them wrong.”

Ah, back then one could marry even if parents were not too thrilled?

And parental advice can in fact be wrong?

Thousand thanks!

Even if I knew both facts from other side of Atlantic through the example of a young John Ronald marrying a somewhat older Edith whose father was less than overjoyed.