Friday, May 23, 2014

Don't be so mean, my brother

There's an old saying, "When God puts His hand on a man, I take mine off." It means that when someone is dying or going through a horrible situation that can't be undone or lived with it's not our business to give them an extra kick. An English man, a Catholic writer named Stratford Caldecott is dying. The poor man likes Marvel comics and his daughter arranged for a copy of the new Captain America movie to be shown for her dad. Several actors who have played Marvel superheroes in the Avengers movies have posted their photos with short messages of support. You may privately think, "How silly. A grown man...," but you wouldn't say so out loud or you'd be jerk. I'm afraid that a Catholic blogger who has amused me greatly at times fell into that behavior with this post.

I think it was unfair. For all we know, Mr. Caldecott may have a priest visiting him daily. Maybe his family say the rosary by his bedside every night and the Angelus every day at noon. Maybe he's had Last Rites and has reached the final stage of dying where life has gotten very, very basic: morphine, ice chips, a few words, sleep. Attacking a dying man and his grieving family just comes across as so loathsomely small and mean and I don't see Catholic virtue in it at all.

When my paternal grandmother was dying her sons all would've watched soap operas and feigned enthusiasm if it would have made her smile one more time. Whether  Mr. Caldecott's favorite movies are to my taste or not,  I understand what Mr. Caldecott's daughter is trying to do. God bless her and him.

7 comments:

The Digital Hairshirt said...

“From silly devotions and sour-faced saints, good Lord, deliver us.” - attributed to St. Teresa of Avila, who may not have said it, but that in no way diminishes the meaning.

I agree with you. It is sad that one cannot think that perhaps the response to his daughter's request to these Hollywood types is not only God at work to give Mr. Caldecott a happy death, but to give those actors do something to bring them closer to sainthood.

The Digital Hairshirt said...

Sorry, left out " . . . the chance to . . . in the last part.

newguy40 said...

I no longer visit that blog after he made some atrocious references and comparisons to the Holy Father. His suggestions for addressing the Holy Father's real and perceived comments and statements were outright scandalous and I say that without exaggeration and with sorrow.

God choses how and when to call us home. I won't comment to the negative this fella's interest in the Avengers. My gosh, who cares, really.

Lola said...

Dymphna, you have been blessed with a gentle and kind soul. Thank you for your patient reminder.

I just learned a new word on Dave Ramsey's radio show last week.
Nunya: as in None ya' business.

R J said...

Doing what "Mundabor" has done - i.e. attacking complete strangers, and dying strangers at that, while not having the moxie to sign his own name - is the action of a coward.

However little I might matter in the larger scheme of things, there exists no mystery about what my own name is. Honi soi qui mal y pense!

Robert J. Stove

Enoch said...

I found a very nice article about Mr. Caldicott on the Sensible Bond blog:

http://thesensiblebond.blogspot.com/2014/05/love-is-stronger-than-death.html

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

"Yes, he can. But one must seriously wonder where his priorities lie, if even in dying he is so attached to what now are no more than child’s whims."

Hmmm ... how about St Aloysius Gonzaga? He was playing a game of balls, one man asked him "what would you do if you had only one hour to live?" - "play as well as I could".