Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Daughters of Charity, then and now



I was looking a pictures of liturgical dancers* and found one at the bottom of this post that made me really sad. The Daughters/Sisters of Charity were my old high school nuns and I remember them with affection.


St. Louise, co-foundess of the Daughters of Charity

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, foundress of the American Sisters of Charity, it's rule was based on the French Daughters of Charity, founded by St. Vincent dePaul and St. Louise de Marillac




Servant of God, Sr. Blandina Segal of Sante Fe New Mexico
In 1850, the Sisters of Charity decided to join with the French Daughters of Charity. 
Mother Clementine was the Superior of the order at the time of the unification.



A Canadian Sister of Charity performing a liturgical dance.



* Liturgical dance is another sad example of  the Protestantization of our Church. Seriously, why is this allowed? It's self aggandizement in the house of God. On a merely human level it's either immodest and an occasion of sin for some,  or sadly ridiculous. The dancers either look like writhing  Orion slave girls or they are old women who have clearly forgotten that white hair ill becomes a fool and jester.

7 comments:

Gina Guarnere said...

I was in 7th or 8th grade when an IHM sister requested that I perform liturgical dances for our school Masses. Obviously, at the time, I didn't know any better, but looking back, I'm so ashamed of myself. It's one of my biggest regrets as a middle school student.

newguy40 said...

Don't be sad. Be grateful for what God chose to give you. Pray for your former teachers religious. And, pray for the new sisters and that God gives many vocations to the traditional orders.

There is a monthly First Thursday devotion for an increase in vocations that is put on at a local men's religious order. It's always sparsely attended but my wife and I hope our prayers are answered.

"It is true that I am of an older fashion; much that I love has been destroyed or sent into exile." G. K. Chesterton

I understand his sentiment too. These are trying times for many.

Tom said...

I don't believe God needs/wants cheerleaders! Isn't the Mass enough? I stopped attending a local church when two things happened: 1st on Good Friday I attended Stations in the afternoon. They were led by the Pastoral Care worker, (which was ok for me. I knew the priest would have the evening service) but the church was not lit, there were no booklets, we basically just walked around the stations, and said private prayers. If someone were to watch, I think they would have believed it to be a church tour! Then Easter Sunday they foisted 3 Liturgical dancers on me. I've since found a better parish! I'm praying for us all.

Dymphna said...

Don't feel bad Gina. You were just a child. The sister should've known better.

Restore-DC-Catholicism said...

Let's also remember St. Catherine Laboure, to whom Our Lady entrusted the Miraculous Medal.

Lola said...

My heart sank at that last photo.

I remember being a child getting ready for First Communion and the season was Lent. Sister had us line the church isles, had to be over 100 of us, and in formation sing, "The King of Glory". Sung to an Israeli beat. I don't remember it on the actual day of performance, but the practices were almost overwhelming. This was the mid seventies. So yeah things were getting kinda weird. It could have gone either way.

That is as close as I ever came to Liturgical dance and I have to say it was pretty cool. No streamers, no wriggling, just a very young second grade class marching down the isles to our seats and singing our hearts out. We knew of Whom and to Whom we were singing. The Glory was His.

But unfortunately there have been too many weird and ridiculous dances I have witnessed over the years.
The least offensive was at a now closed parish, about 5 girls in matching white shirts and black skirts, during the mass danced to Celine Dion's "Because You Loved Me". This should have been performed at Coffee and Donuts AFTER Mass. That would have been beautiful. Instead it seemed disruptive.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

It seems liturgical dancing is done well by Ethiopian Church.

It seems it is based on King David dancing in the temple and on certain Bible verses.