Tuesday, February 19, 2008

a word to Michelle Obama

Michelle Obama said something that made me very sad. For the first time in her life she's proud of her country. Michelle, sweetie, darling. What the flip is wrong with you? You and your husband live in a home finer than the one my great grandmother and possibly yours used to go clean back in the 50s. Your children go to a private school. You wear high fashion clothes and probably haven't seen the inside of a Wal-Mart in 20 years, if ever. Your kids have probably never even seen a rat, felt a bedbug's bite and will never know anyone who died of TB. They've never had to empty a chamber pot or gather wood like my mother did. No-one even thought of slicing up their genitalia, a normal everyday thing in many African countries. You got to marry Barry because you wanted him, and not because your dad threatened to kill you if you didn't. You appear to be content in the marriage unlike millions of Indian, Aboriginal women, Muslim women from a bunch of different countries and Black African women who are living in hell each day with their masters/husbands.

You got to go to college instead of leaving school in the 4th grade because you were needed in the cotton fields like my granny. Your life is sweeter and softer than that of Marie Antoinette, Catherine the Great or Victoria. How can you not look at Africa and the Caribbean-- especially Haiti and not thank God on your very knees that you are American? I don't get it. I don't want to get it either.

Michelle is there any country on the face of this earth that has allowed black people to live as well as we do here in the USA? God knows there is racism in America, Rocky and I have been stared at as if we were dragons at more than one parish although I have to say that the worst experience was at a Hispanic parish, not an all white one---but I'd rather be here than any other place on earth. Our Lady of America, pray for us all.

10 comments:

pam j said...

Although I'm white, I have two adopted children from Korea (as infants) now in their 20's. International adoption at that time was not a fad, but the only way we could adopt a child without waiting for 3 - 5 years, (even through Catholic Charities). It was certainly a blessing for us, but it has opened my eyes to racism. Even in daycare, the other kids would say and do very racist things. The reason I bring this up is that I too do not understand not thanking God every day for this country, and am proud to be American.

More importantly, I also noticed that you have a link to Our Lady of America. I have been blessed by this devotion, and try to spread it everywhere I can. There is another website, oltiv.org. which is based out of Rome City, Indiana, where Our Lady first appeared to Sr. Mildred as Our Lady of America, and gave her messages to spread the devotion and for America to return to purity, and in doing so America would lead the world to peace. This website is dedicated to preserving the Holy Ground in Rome City, spreading the devotion, and enthroning a statue of Our Lady of America in the Basilica in D.C. I visited Sylvan Springs in Rome City, Indiana last summer. I have health problems, but they have improved immensely since my pilgrimage. There are SO many testimonies of cures (spiritual and physical) and miraculous phenomena such as the sun spinning there. You may not have heard of this place, but if you check out the blog at oltiv.org, the stories are astounding! Many people who have been to Lourdes and Medjugorge have stated that the presence of the Holy Spirit is just as palpable in Rome City. If you have an opportunity to make a pilgrimage anywhere, I can't recommend it strongly enough. I pray that the Pope will enthrone the statue of Our Lady of America in D.C. on his visit to the U.S. in April.

Our Lady of America, pray for us.
God Bless,
pam j
kc mo

KitBrookside said...

EXCELLENT post, D! You have such a gift of expressing and laying bare, always, always with grace...thanks!

Coffee Catholic said...

Good points all around! I'm White/Black/Native American and when I look back at the very recent past (and the present for Natives...) I thank God that I was born here in America, even if I have seen the inside of Wal~Mart, rats and death. Even a poor American woman has it ten thousand times better then our sisters in these other places that you mentioned! If God blesses us with children and I have a daughter I don't have to worry about my husband marrying her off to some nasty jerk at the tender age of 6 and I don't have to worry about going to prison because I have *not* had kids yet!!

I have to wonder about these wealthy politicians and their wives. Whatever happened to the wealthy women in the "ruling" class spending their lives in humble aid to the Poor and thus setting an excellent example for the rest of their countrywomen?? What little girl points at the rich women and says, "I want to serve the poor like she does!" ??

Terry Nelson said...

Stunning post! Very well stated.

Vir Speluncae Catholicus said...

As usual... first rate.

Larry Kamphausen said...

There is a difference between being thankful and being proud.
I am thankful that I am a US citizen. Proud?
I don't think the problem is that Michelle Obama hasn't felt proud, but that she has felt she should feel proud of her nationality. And that she is proud now that her husband could be the Democratic presidential candidate.
I suppose that if all you mention about the US was due to our superior ethical and moral system and not econmics (partial achieved through the exploitation of resources and people) you may have a point. But really our economic success has nothing to do with our morality.
You actually sound more like a good old fashioned Puritan Calvinist, who equates wealth with the sign of God's blessing because one is chosen and of the elect, than a Roman Catholic in this post.
I reiterate we have much to be thankful for but I just don't see how citizens of the US are on the whole morally superior to the rest of the world. I am glad that you and the women you know are not mistreated by their families. But as a pastor I know that while there are subtler ways to be patriarchal and abusive and just as damaging in the end.
Michelle may be off but the answer isn't to insist that we all be proud of being American.

Coffee Catholic said...

If we aren't proud to be Americans then we rip our own country apart from within from all of our whining and griping. What's the point of being an American if you are not going to be proud of your country? If America is doing something wrong then instead of whining and griping about how ashamed you are, do something to fix it and remain proud of your country because that's the only way a nation remains strong! If someone becomes ashamed of America they might as well move to some other country and take their destructive additude with them.

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

I only hope for Mrs. Obama's soul. I can not believe that she'd say something like this (oh wait, yes, I can actually).

She should feel blessed for being here.

::puts in extra sorrowful mysteries, for a non-Obamian presidency::

OLA, pray for us,

Lynne said...

I love your blog.

M. Alexander said...

Well said. The problem is that Michelle Obama will say anything to get her husband elected.

N.B. to people who have never left the U.S.- there is racism in every country. In Saudi Arabia they still have slaves, beat Filipino and Indian workers who are usually servants/prostitutes and I'm speaking of the women AND men.

There are things in this country that must change but it is still the greatest country in the world.
Mary