Thursday, February 26, 2009

a blessed lent to you

I love Ash Wednesday. It's wonderful after Mass to suddenly realize who's Catholic, especially when it's a person who I never even suspected to be remotely Christian. I'm also interested in the reactions I get. I went to the 8 AM Mass at St. Matthews, (young Fr. Frodo gives an excellent homily and has a lovely singing voice) and then went to work.

A couple of co-workers launched into some mildly offensive Catholic jokes. I wasn't upset I just wondered if their lives were so wicked that the mere sight of ashes on my forehead was enough to turn them into min Bill Mahers.

3 comments:

patrice said...

It is not just we Catholics who have ashes on our foreheads on Ash Wednesday. Lutherans do this as well, and for the same reasons.

For more information, consult askalutheran.blogspot

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

Ash Weds is great for all the reasons you mentioned.

It was good to see students on campus with their ashes.

Saint in the Making said...

I usually go to Ash Wednesday Mass at my parish after work. This year, I decided that I needed to do a really public Ash Wednesday, mainly because of our new President and his anti-life stances. (Ironic though, given the readings for the day. But I maintain that views on faith and religion are so different that the readings should be read in a "flipped" manner. IOW, we SHOULD stand on the corner praying because it's more hypocritical now to claim we're Christian and then not live it.)

I went to St. Patrick's here in DC. It was packed! I was so moved. Father's homily was wonderful and I felt so blessed (despite coughing almost constantly...hate being sick). I thank the Holy Spirit every day for leading me to the Catholic Church, but on Ash Wednesday I could've floated from the happiness. Now, that's REAL hope!