Sunday, August 14, 2011

Catholic laziness or something else?

The Feast of the Assumption is not a holy day of obligation this year because it falls on Monday and American Catholics can't be expected to go to Mass two days in a row. Did the bishops make this decision because they know we are too soft and lazy to go to Mass and they want to avoid putting us in a position where they know we will fall into sin or do they secretly think that many of us can't stand the Novus Ordo and only go becuase we are obligated (hence the NASCAR like spectacle in our parking lots after Mass and stampede to get out right after Holy Communion) and in their kindness they just want to give us a break when they can?  Either way, it's puzzling.

6 comments:

Old Bob said...

It certainly is puzzling. What's in their heads, anyway? When I was young, in the 50s and early 60s, it was considered a privilege to do a little something extra for God -- today for His Mother -- even if it involved sacrifice.

Elizabeth said...

LOL. I'm glad I didn't have a mouthful when I read your first sentence :)
We are going to a Tridentine High Mass tomorrow evening (7pm)with full Orchestra and Polyphony choir at St Peter's Church in Philadelphia, Pa. (Home of the remains of St John Neuman!) We CAN'T WAIT!
One of the daughters of Snorkie's God Mom made the choir! Whooppie!

The Digital Hairshirt said...

And either way, I'm going to Mass tomorrow.

Gina said...

Elizabeth - I may be seeing you there! Found out from Fr. Z there was going to be a TLM, but wasn't sure if I could work up the nerve to go (it'll be my first time). Buuuut, I'm pretty sure I'll be giving it a go. I love the Shrine. It's so beautiful!

As for you, Dymphna, spot on. I'm gonna go with laziness... they know we're soft, whiny and lazy. :(

And to Old Bob - you, my good sir, make a brilliant point. It IS a privilege to do a little extra something for God... the celebration of His Holy Mother is quite the joyous "sacrifice" :)

Lynne said...

It's the soft bigotry of low expectations...

The pastor of my church offered two Masses on Monday. He's a good priest.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

OK, December 25th also falls on Mondays some years?