Friday, February 08, 2013

random thoughts




The existence of the Sandy Hook children's chorus seems perverse to me. The adults involved are sending the kids a false message. When I was in second grade a classmate of mine was murdered along with her entire family because her big brother stole drug money from his boss. Her death did not lead to fun stuff. My class was not treated to trips to the Superbowl or the Grammys. We were told what happened. Some of us read about it in the newspaper. We and Sister prayed for our classmate and then we went on with life.  Nobody was allowed to use that poor girl's death for their own purposes. If any teacher had said, "Hey let's take the second graders to a high profile public event  to remind them and everyone else that their classmate was slaughtered and that drugs are bad," the principal would've fired them and sprinkled holy water and blessed salt after they left the building.


Last week I read this on the Catholic Sista's blog:

Our neighbors think that Christians are out of touch with reality and don’t understand the daily struggles and sorrows that they face. This is where we employ the missionary tool of fashion namely, through dressing with an eye to style and following the latest trends in a reasonable manner, we communicate to those who see us that we speak their language. A prairie dress or long plaid jumper sends the following message, “I reject this culture, and I don’t speak your existential language".

Something in me was disturbed and I'm not sure why exactly. I could not get these words out of my head for days.  Sure I like certain kinds of clothes but the "missionary tool of fashion" is not and never shall be for me.