Saturday, February 16, 2013

sad, very sad right now

The commentary on numerous professional and private individual blogs about the pope’s abdication is either insipid or it depresses me  because of  the subtle attacks on the sick and the elderly.   Damian Thompson, who strikes me as a squirmy little wormtounge, says that JPII stayed too long and was “mentally enfeebled” and multiple people seem to think it’s good that Benedict will be doing his suffering and dying in private. So the sick and the old should just die already and not offend us by their distressing presence? What the hell?

I’ve read several pieces that indicate that the Church was kept on hold by John Paul II’s dying process from 2001-2005. Really? So nobody went to Mass or got baptized, married, confirmed in those years because we were all waiting impatiently for JPII to die? I don’t recall that.

5 comments:

Joe Potillor said...

The craziness of people at times...

I will say though, with Pope Benedict XVI, he hates the spotlight being on his person, and wants it to be on Christ Jesus, and it's within his person to want his privacy.



Deo volente said...

Dymphna,

I believe that times of "surprise" or "shock" bring out the true nature of individuals. Ideas held quietly surface and these are not always what we expected.

In a society in which youth, vigor, skin without a wrinkle or blemish is "de rigeur," Pope John Paul was an embarrassment to many. He represented what we were told only this past Wednesday, "Remember that you are dust and unto dust you shall return." His epic battle with Parkinson's and his slow move towards his Maker were unbearable for many who fear their own coming death.

This utilitarian view is hideous to behold, and explains why the Culture of Death has infected so many--some without even knowing their utilitarian attitudes. I can see how you are sad. I am sad too.

D.v.

Anita Moore said...

The utilitarian view is certainly ugly. People who hold it forget that one of these days, they themselves are liable to become the target of such thinking.

Then, too, there are the other people who think the Holy Father is a coward and a shirker, "coming down off the cross" by abdicating. I'm disappointed that he has abdicated -- I'd be lying if I said I wasn't -- but after his life-long track record, I can't believe there is anything but the most compelling reasons behind it. I doubt if anybody sees farther and deeper than he does.

Lola said...

Thank you for stating the outrageous and hurtful comments. When we shine light on it it seems to lose some of its power. What the hell indeed!

Let's hope these vicious types aren't in the running for the Papal office.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

"Damian Thompson, who strikes me as a squirmy little wormtounge ..."

Well, I don't quite like him either.

Here is a refutation I gave:
Triviū, Quadriviū, 7 cætera : Newman, Thompson, Antichrist
http://triv7quadriv.blogspot.fr/2013/07/newman-thompson-antichrist.html