Sunday, January 12, 2014

Shhhh


Have you ever noticed that some people seem compelled to chat in church? They can't wait even an hour to tell the story of their grandchild's soccer game or to complain about Father's homily or to ask Sally where she got those shoes. These aren't bad people they just can't be still and hush. I've actually had people come up to me and stop me from praying so that they could talk. I still haven't found a diplomatic way to discourage chatter in front of the Blessed Sacrament and I always feel bad when this happens.

5 comments:

Mary Ann Kreitzer said...

I feel the same way. It's always quiet before Mass at our parish, but after... Very disturbing, especially when some of the loudest are the organist and her fan club. Don't they know any better? I wonder if a pew card like what you show here would change anything?

Anita Moore said...

Wow. I want a thousand of these to distribute! I grew up during nutjob '70s, and even then the level of noise and bad behavior in church that prevails now was unthinkable.

I think a great many Catholics simply do not believe in the Real Presence anymore; and of those that do, many think it doesn't matter how they behave in church, because God should just be happy they're there at all.

Bailey Walker said...

One of my great fears is that one day I will stand up and scream out, "For the love of God, SHUT UP!" I've come close but so far my guardian angel has spared me this particular humiliation. I'm already the cranky old geezer who won't sing along. Sigh

newguy40 said...

I think Miss Moore has hit the proverbial nail on the head. I belief in the Real Pesence is lacking. How else to explain the lack of reverence seen day in and day out? Don't even get me started on the back slappers in the communion line.

OTH, these examples are a real opportunity for reparation for the lack of love for our Eucharistic Lord.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

"I belief in the Real Pesence is lacking."

How about "I" THINK "belief in the Real Pesence is lacking."