I have a problem with John Henry Westen because he's not as careful as he ought to be at times but this interview with Fr. Isaac Relyea is good stuff. If your pastor preaches with all the strength of a spritz of water because he doesn't dare cross his bishop listening to Fr. Isaac is a relief.
I grew up reading Archbishop Sheen's books and I loved watching reruns of his show on EWTN but I don't want him canonized. There's no doubt about his personal goodness, heck the FBI investigated him and their report was so glowing that I wouldn't be surprised if the agent who wrote it become Catholic later. Everyone in Heaven is a saint. Everyone is Purgatory is going to Heaven. Not every dead person is made a saint that we can all look to as an example of how to get to Heaven. Archbishop Sheen was a company man. Before Vatican II he did great work for the Faith but when things changed, he rolled with the times. Years ago when I read about his latter years I was shocked. He promoted sex education in his diocesan schools. He was wishy washy on birth control. He praised Fr. Pierre Teilhard de Chardin who apparently didn't care about converting any of the Chinese people he was supposed to be serving, may have been, by his own account, possessed and was a racist. Archbishop Sheen's time in the Rochester diocese was a whirlwind that didn't leave a happy, peaceful diocese. Sheen was wildly enthusiastic about interfaith activity. What is Interfaith? In practical terms, it means hiding your crucifix or scapular and smiling like a loon while you fawn over a probably bemused Jewish person, or Protestant. It also means dumbing down or giving up your devotional life and accepting tomfoolery or blasphemy at Mass while praising the strictness of Ramadan or blathering about the 25 hour Yom Kippur fast. It's silly at best. Spiritually deadly at the worst. Unlike Paul VI or John XXIII, Sheen does have a genuine cultus and it doesn't seem shady like what happened with Jose Maria Escrivá. I bet the people who are happy about the Sheen beatification and are waiting for his canonization love pre-Vatican Sheen but don't know much about his twilight years. Personally I think 1950s Sheen would have been taken aback by1970s Sheen. Chris Jackson asks a darn good question. Which Sheen was beatified. Which Sheen is going to be sainted?
For those who live in the area or can make the drive, the FSSP chaplaincy has posted their details about the Our Lady of Victory chapel.
I've been experiencing attacks of sciatica pain since Monday and I'm exhausted. I'm stretching and doing the hot and cold packs but if this keeps up I'm going to have to go to the doctor. In your charity could you please pray for my mother? I can tell she's worried about me.
Representatives of the Bethlehem Carving Group had their gorgeous olive and Mother of Pearl artwork at the Cathedral after Mass. Sadly the customer turn out was terrible. Rocky bought me a pair of earrings and a crucifix to replace the one that was broken when the delivery men brought in our new dishwasher. I hope they have better luck at the other parishes they visit this year.