Thursday, February 23, 2012

random Ash Wednesday thoughts

  • I went to Mass at St. Matthews Cathedral for Ash Wednesday. It was fine except the cantor sang the Kyrie at the Prayers of the Faithful instead of the "Lord hear our prayer," response. He sang it as long as possible and almost in the melisma style so nobody who wasn't a trained singer could really follow him. It may be permitted but I don't really care for it. 



  • What is wrong with Chris Matthews? Did he get kicked in the head as a child or was  he the victim of harsh potty training? If he feels this way about Catholics why did  he go to  the Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament Church to sign his new book?



  • I was reading a blog where  a commenter mentioned that she had gone to help out at a food bank and was shocked because the people were  uncouth, (I take it nobody used a finger bowl),  badly dressed, and some of the women were fat (I bet this person isn't so pretty herself), and people were actually  watching TV while they ate. The TV thing is something that was beyond the pale in her household, apparently. She also seemed to get the vapors because American Idol was on. Reading this really made me angry. I hope this woman doesn’t go back or if she does, I hope that  the ladies who run the food bank wisely keep her in the back peeling potatoes or washing pans.  If I ever get to the point where I need to go somewhere to get a free meal I’d hate to have this imperious “Christian” looking down her precious nose at me. If you’re going to do something with the hardcore underclass or even the folks who recently slipped into dire financial straits this Lent please don’t be like this person. Nobody who’s hit the skids (and considering what’s happened to this country that could be any of us)  needs someone mincing about going “Ew, yucky!,” at them. Throw a dollar into the collection plate instead.




  • The more I read about Fr. McRae the more I think that we are no better than the folks in Old Salem. 

5 comments:

Anita Moore said...

I work with the poor in the criminal justice system, and can attest that, by and large, the romantic images many people cherish about the poor are false -- especially after decades of government policies that have served only to compound their material poverty with spiritual and intellectual poverty. The ones I deal with are frequently rude, ill-mannered, ungrateful, self-centered and imbued with a sense of entitlement. This is a reality that must be accepted by anyone who aspires to do them any good, and it makes prayer essential. I have to remind myself -- and I am often remiss in this -- that this is precisely why Christians are admonished to love the poor: precisely because they are frequently anything BUT lovable.

As for fat people at the food bank, this really shouldn't come as a surprise. The price of food has been on the rise for several years, and the nutritious stuff is the most expensive. You're lucky if you can find breast of chicken for under $3.00 a pound. Fresh fruits and vegetables are not cheap either, especially in certain parts of the country. It's the fattening, processed junk that fits most comfortably into a lean budget.

Dymphna said...

You're probably right, Anita. This woman most likely showed up with a romantic view and it got shattered.

Ming Zhang said...

You have to care for everything which include; the dressing sense, mannerisms and etiquettes Chinese Fashion. It is because these points will help in generating your initial impression on them and for those who don't take these things seriously, they're able to even break your deal sooner than you recognize.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

" If I ever get to the point where I need to go somewhere to get a free meal I’d hate to have this imperious “Christian” looking down her precious nose at me."

She's possibly a kind who may have ruined some morning conversations at homeless day shelters, when asking about my plans.

But she is possibly also the kind who, if asked politely by a homeless who had slept last night (but not the nights before) in her staircase might give a handsome breakfast of coffee and cookies. Or, later in the day, a foodcheck instead of money.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

"Please say a prayer for this good man."

It seems someone did.

St Robert's Day this year was latest time he was arrested, and he was released again Eve of Pentecost.

Thank God!