Tuesday, July 17, 2007

600 million

By now, everyone knows that the LA diocese made a 600 million dollar settlement on clergy sex abuse claims. Cardinal Mahnony apologized to the victims and wants to move on. Sure, Your Eminence, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Very likely some LA diocese folks are going to lose their parishes and schools to pay for this debacle.

I loved John Paul II and I bless his memory but let's be honest, he reigned but did not discipline. I'm sorry if this upsets anyone but that's how I feel. Perhaps, as Peggy Noonan suggested it was because, he simply couldn't fathom how many of his bishops and priests were gay. Perhaps (and I don't really believe this, I'm just tossing out ideas), it was because he knew that rooting out the sodomites would be a hard, nasty fight and he felt his charism lay in evangelization instead. At any rate, think of all the schools that could have buit for 600 million. Think of all the free hospitals we could've had. Think of the nursing homes that could've been built and think of the churches that we could've had. Instead we have shame, misery, ruin and one day, wrecking balls.