Tuesday, April 08, 2008

adoration tonight

Tonight Rocky and I went to adoration at a nearby parish. It was lovely as usual until a young mohter came in with a toddler. He was having a bad night. He didn't want to leave but he didn't want his mommy praying and not paying attention to him either. That child had remarkable lung power. I hope his parents give him singing lessons someday. That much vocal strength has got to be good for something. He was just tall enough to walk under the altar rail and that's what he did. He headed straight for Jesus and I tensed up thinking that he was going to get hurt by knocking over a candle or the monstrance.

The other adorers were annoyed and one man told the mother frankly that she ought to remove her little boy. She did for a time and when he quieted down she brought him back for a few minutes. The poor thing meant well.... I normally can't stand noisy children but tonight I wasn't bothered. The little fellow actually made me pray harder so I guess all things really do work to the good.

4 comments:

KitBrookside said...

"Let the little children come to me"

(Even the noisy ones!)

Thank the Lord that this mother is bringing her child along and will be raising him in the Faith. He'll learn due respect, when to be quiet, and when to sing all in good time.

My little guy (almost 1 now!) has taken to testing his voice and its echo during quiet times, like the Consecration ("Hoo! Hee! Hoo! Hoooooooeeeee!"), during Mass. It's happy "cooing," not yelling, but if he does it just so, it sounds like a monkey's gotten loose in the Lourdes grotto...

Dymphna said...

I don't know what it is--if only I could figure out what babies are thinking-- but the Consecration seems to inspire the little ones to coo. It's amazing really.

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

Hmmmm, maybe there's an understanding of the Real Presence that causes it :)

KitBrookside said...

Joe, I do think they know it's a special moment. My little one, of the three, really loves Mass - a combination of the heights, lights, stained glass, sounds, and he LOVES staring at the priest, who generally looks right back at him (we sit in or near the front pew to keep the older ones engaged...something about jr. high and wanting to gawk about to see if your friends are there...) and smiles. Fr. M. has told me several times that our little boy is a model citizen - but I suspect that also arises out of our very Irish priest liking his very Irish name!