Thursday, January 15, 2009

dreher, french mass, doubt and spiritual weaklings


I was going to write something about Rod Dreher then I decided not to. There's nothing charitable or lovely I could say and so I'll attempt to be a domina and pass.

Instead, take a peek at this. It is so cold in this French cathedral that you can see the priest's breath when he spoke! And yet, people were there. They are SSPX but so what? If people rolling around and shrieking in tounges and dancing girls are welcome at our parishes I can't bring myself to pick on people who just want to worship the way their ancestors did.


There's a scene in Doubt where the nun tells the mother of the boy who is being molested what is going on. The mother says she knows her 12 year old is homosexual and that the boy's father is a brute so she's just grateful that the priest is a kind influence. Oh hell no. I can not imagine a black woman in the 50s having that reaction. If someone had said this to my granny she would've had a conversation with her menfolk and a "visit" would've been paid to the offenders house.

Rocky said that there were only three people at bible study last night. It was 25 degrees but he was disgusted. Christians have risked their lives to go Mass and still do in places like Saudi Arabia and these comfortable, well to do suburbanites couldn't even go to a heated room to drink coffee and discuss the gospel among other Catholics.. because it's cold outside.

8 comments:

Sanctus Belle said...

Yeah well its 25 below zero here in Minnesota and I'm at work, can't believe we go to work when its this dang cold. At least schools are closed - and our parish religious ed was cancelled last night due to cold. In March when the temp gets consistently over 10 or so, it feels so warm! Can hardly imagine 25 today...downright balmy

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

I would of been there had I lived there, but I do plan to travel....

Charlotte said...

Do you recommend or pan "Doubt"?

LarryD said...

I was asked to sub for a fellow parishoner at our Adoration Chapel tonight (10PM EST). It's about -5 here in metro Detroit. I think my van hated it more than I did.

Dymphna said...

If you like Meryl Streep go see the movie. It's not anti-Catholic as I feared it would be. If you want to have fun at the movies skip it because it's a downer.

patrice said...

Those in the SSPX are schismatics!
I don't consider that schismatics "worship in the old way", since that implies obedience to the Vatican.

To attend a diocesan approved TLM is "worship in the old way".

Joe! said...

Patrice, I really, really don;t want to get into this, but the SSPX aren't really considered schismatic right now by the CDF. So far, they've been using 'imperfect communion', but not schismatic. The excommunication was only for the bishops involved in the consecration in Econe. The priests are suspended but not excommunicated, and since there are no lay members of the FSSPX, they aren't in schism either.
http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/mershon/070410

As to mass in the cold, I once went to mass on a Sunday when it was 19 degrees, with 7 inches of snow, only for the priest to insult the congregation for being stupid enough to go to mass on a day like that.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

I get a vision of your granny using a rolling pin in appropriate ways.

Sure, sometimes white folks tend to be a bit over the top in the matter of tameness (myself included).