Friday, May 31, 2013

Fr. Andrew Greeley

Fr. Andrew Greeley has died. Was he telling the truth when he wrote the following in his book, "Furthermore! Memories of a Parish Priest,"?
"...But even in Chicago, the ring of predators about whom I wrote in the paperback edition of 'Confessions' remains untouched. There is no evidence against them because no one has complained about them and none of their fellow priests have denounced them. Those who have been removed are for the most part lone offenders who lacked the skill to cover their tracks. The ring is much more clever. Perhaps they always will be. But should they slip, should they get caught, the previous scandals will seem trivial...."

7 comments:

Anita Moore said...

In his book Priesthood in Crisis (available in the Kindle lending library), Fr. Matthew Desparde describes the persecution of himself and others by the Lavender Mafia, and makes similar allegations to Fr. Greeley's about entrenched collusion among homosexual priests in the Diocese of Motherwell, Scotland, as well as the British Army's chaplain corps, where he served for several years, and in his seminary. He actually names names. It is significant that Rome promptly accepted the 75th-birthday resignation of the most recent Bishop of Motherwell (whose name was also named in the book), making Motherwell the fourth Scottish diocese that is currently without a bishop.

Anita Moore said...

Whoops...I said Rome promptly accepted Bishop Devine's resignation...I should have been more careful: he tendered his resignation in August of 2012. But I suppose one could say his resignation was accepted promptly after things started surfacing in the wake of the O'Brien scandal.

Dymphna said...

I just read Fr. Desparde's book. What he went through was horrifying.

Lynne said...

Is it available here in the US, the kindle version, I mean. They pulled it from the UK Amazon website...

Lynne said...

I just bought it and will read it tonight.

The Digital Hairshirt said...

No doubt such a ring exists in California dioceses.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

I wonder how much such rings have been acting as if I were there protégé, when I don't need or want their protection.

When it comes to alms, that is another matter.

When I sit begging, I can hardly try to discern who is and who isn't involved in such things.