Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Random thoughts on a Wenesday


  • Has the existence of legal abortion ruined gynecology? A long time ago, I started bleeding heavily and it went on for four weeks. My doctor shrugged and brusquely  told me it was a miscarriage but that my body was handling it.  I was young and meekly accepted that. After six weeks I was exhausted and darn close to full blown shrieking hysteria. He pooh poohed me. I went to a new doctor and got a D&C. Women my age are not surprised by this story but older women in their 60s and 70s are appalled. My doctor at the time did not graduate at the bottom of his class. He was well respected and had a long career. I wonder if the existence of legal abortion helped create the husk over that man's soul.

  • I saw four Dark Eyed Juncos this morning and these plump little snow birds were so cute I forgot the cold for a few minutes.

  •  I was reading a lament by the father of several children that went something like this: we never take vacations, or buy new cars or stuff unlike those wicked(?) people over there. The poor man was probably tired and stressed when he wrote his long rant but he's assuming that parents with one or three children are living it up but that's not always the case. A lot of people are just barely hanging on financially and are not doing any better than the couple with ten kids.

  • You've probably seen the photos of that poor, poor Jordanian pilot being burned alive.  May God have mercy on his soul. 


  • Mass tonight was wonderful as usual. Fr. Sharp is not a flashy orator but his homilies have much wisdom. 

  • “The observance of Lent is the very badge of Christian warfare. By it we prove ourselves not to be enemies of Christ. By it we avert the scourges of divine justice. By it we gain strength against the princes of darkness, for it shields us with heavenly help. Should men grow remiss in their observance of Lent, it would be a detriment to God’s glory, a disgrace to the Catholic religion, and a danger to Christian souls. Neither can it be doubted that such negligence would become the source of misery to the world, of public calamity, and of private woe.”Pope Benedict XI

  • Our Lady of Good Success, pray for us.