Sunday, May 25, 2008

that old familiar feeling

Last week a speaker was at my parish. He did not speak in the church but in the parish hall. His talk was on an admirable subject. Rocky and I did not attend because we had something else to do that night but I decided to Google the speaker to see if I could find any other parishes where he'd be lecturing. I found out that he belongs to a think tank that has a number of speakers who .... well, disturbed me a bit. They seem to dislike popular culture, blacks, anybody who doesn't want to return to a 19th century agrarian lifestyle and appear to avocate that the US turn in on itself and forget about the world (I actually have had that fantasy too. I guess we all have at some time or another but these guys are serious.)


My Catholic early warning system started to hum. My Normal American-faced-with-a-crank warning system was humming too.


I haven't found a single instance where this speaker appeared to agree with their line of thinking and I've found nothing but praise for him from people I respect but it worries me that he's hanging around with those other guys.


If he comes back to my parish I will try to attend his lecture and afterwards I hope I'll have enough courage to ask him a few questions about his colleagues.


3 comments:

Linus said...

Dear Dymphna--

Have you considered contacting the gentleman? I know that you would not want to post the least hint of moral failing on someone's part until you had taken the time first to verify such a failing and then to convince yourself that such a failing needed to made public. If there were not guilt at all, you would be in danger of calumny and even if there were, you would want to avoid detraction. Since your website is broadminded enough to include links from schismatics, my guess is you really are the sort of person who desires the fullness of the truth and would want to take the time to get at it, even if it meant more than few few google searches! God Bless you, and

Pax et bonum,

Chris

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

"They seem to dislike popular culture, blacks, anybody who doesn't want to return to a 19th century agrarian lifestyle ..."

I second returning to at least parts of 19th century or earlier agrarian lifestyle.

But the rest?

If they read Chesterton, how about reading his Defense of Penny Dreadfuls, Penny Dreadfuls being part of Pop Culture, or the remark about certain Western Hindoos by Father Brown (was it "the wrong shape"?) where he says they could almost forgive a Brahmin for being brown because he's Hindoo, HE could almost forgive the Brahmin for being Hindoo because he's brown.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

clickable, this time:
A DEFENCE OF PENNY DREADFULS
by G.K. Chesterton
http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/books/penny-dreadfuls.html