Saturday, March 01, 2014

random thoughts


  • Rocky and I went to Mass last Thursday and I noticed that Father was in purple. I checked the missal and saw that it was Septuagesima. This season was abolished in the Novus Ordo calendar. I was vaguely aware of this season and thought it was Latin for what we call Ordinary Time. Turns out it's a bit more than that. 
  • If I had the money I'd buy this collection, catalog it and give it to a good Catholic school.
  • An older lady, whom I have never liked but respected for the sake of her age and her obvious learnedness made a vauge statement about Pope Francis that I just didn't get. I asked her what she was saying and she told me again but with frankness this time. She has become a sedevacantist. I was stunned. This lady was Catholic before I was even born. She explained that she's looked at the Church and her only choices are despair or to believe that we don't have a pope at all. There was nothing I could say to her to change her mind and so I withdrew.


  • I was listening to the new Benedictines of Epheus Lent CD and fell love with one song: God of Mercy and Companssion. This is not them but it's the best version I was able to find. 




  • Why can't Catholics treat their brothers and sisters with the same level of kindness that they show to people who completely deny the Faith?

5 comments:

Joe Potillor said...

I wish the pre-Lenten period was brought back for the OF....the Eastern Churches have kept this custom...The Liturgical crisis is very disheartening at times...

To the old lady, we've had not so good Popes before, and we'll probably have them again. Christ is the point. Though I must say it's very difficult dealing with the lack of precision of Pope Francis

I agree, especially with the last one we've gotten so "nice" to those that are outside the Faith, that we forget about those that are inside.

Lynne said...

I hope that sedevacantists are saved. They still access to the sacraments (more or less). I can't go that way but I understand it. These are very trying times. All we can do is stay close to Jesus and Mary (and ignore the Pope, although we must pray for him). Very trying times.

Lola said...

I am comforted by the fact that Joe pointed out. We've had some not so good Popes in the past, odd goings on too. And yet we have a Faithful Lord and Savior.

Still I've been confused now and then with Pope Francis. I think all those who have been so thrilled with his 'liberal' appearance will turn with viciousness if and when he shows even a slightly 'conservative' side.

That older lady needs prayers. I'll remember her and your special intentions in my prayers.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

You might also like to add these links (or text from them printed on paper in books) to the library you would donate:

Creation vs. Evolution : Newspeak in Nineteen - Eighty ... er Sorry ... Ninety-Four
http://creavsevolu.blogspot.fr/2013/12/newspeak-in-nineteen-eighty-er-sorry.html


with the rest of the series (see link series in top of each included message), and

New blog on the kid : As Someone Said : You Catch More Flies with Honey than with Vinegar
http://nov9blogg9.blogspot.fr/2016/02/as-someone-said-you-catch-more-flies.html


also along with rest of series. So also with (each item I give first in series):

Creation vs. Evolution : Was St. Jerome Calling Genesis a Myth, and if so in what sense?
http://creavsevolu.blogspot.fr/2012/08/was-st-jerome-calling-genesis-myth-and.html


and shorty couple:

Creation vs. Evolution : I was going to make next post on Plato, but today's article in CMI posed a simple question to my mind
http://creavsevolu.blogspot.fr/2016/05/i-was-going-to-make-next-post-on-plato.html

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

"Why can't Catholics treat their brothers and sisters with the same level of kindness that they show to people who completely deny the Faith?"

Considering I have not only not "been given" by such and such a priest, but extremely probably actually denied a living off my writing anc composing, I tend to ask the same questions.

If they had had the same kindness to me as to my calumniators lacking the faith ...