Sunday, December 11, 2011

Random thoughts on modesty and other stuff

  • Thank you all for your kind words and prayers for my poor aunt, Emmabelle.


  • I was reading a complaint on another blog about how hard it is to find modest clothes and I thought, 'silly you'. Modesty is actually pretty easy.  I have a dress that looks fine when I'm standing but shows too much when I sit. So I put a t shirt under it and no-body sees a thing. Simple.

    There is no law that says you have to buy mini skirts and if your regular skirt is a little too short put on black tights. Instead of buying low rider jeans that expose your naked backside  buy some relaxed fit Wranglers or Faded Glorys and be done with it. You don't have to dress like an Amish woman ---but oddly enough one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen was a barefoot young Amish mother walking down a dirt road--- and you don't have dress like a Mormon breakaway cult member to be modest. 

    I do not wish to support Mormonism in any way, and I don't want to be on mailing list or get a visit form Mormon elders so I refuse to buy from LDS owned stores but mainstream Mormon women, I have to admit, do a great job of looking good without looking sleazy and unlike Catholics they've actually gone into business providing gorgeous clothes instead of just complaining. 


  • You know how a puppy or dog will roll over on their stomachs before a dominant dog in a submission gesture? That's what this was.


  • Speaking of dogs, if that nice boy, Tim Tebow were to torture one to death, drive drunk, shoot off a gun in a nightclub, get accused of rape....twice, all the people who rag on him now would be fans. I wish the kid was Catholic. Can you imagine the exploding heads?


  • The situation with my uncle's dementia is getting worse and none of the nursing homes I'm pursuing have made acceptance decisions yet and I've become terribly disappointed in his doctor. My mother and I are so tired. I just want to sit on the floor and cry sometimes. And then my fighting spirit comes back. When this is all over and he is in a safe place I can rest until then I just have to follow Winston Churchill's advice and keep on going.


  • Thank God the morning after pill is not going to be sold over the counter. Can you imagine what would have happened on daily basis? A guy decides he wants to be "sure" and slips it into his girlfriend's coffee...a statutory rapist forces an underage girl to take it at the end of their "date" .....an angry teenager adds it her stepmother's dinner... a college girl figures if one is good she ought to take four....babies killed as easily and thoughtlessly as one does when popping a vitamin. What a horror.


6 comments:

Adrienne said...

It's easy to dress modestly and still look wonderful.

That Islam thingy made me nauseated.

Don't get me started on Michael Vick. I've already done my one scathing post when that loon in the White House called him.

Prayers for you, your mom, and your uncle.

Did I miss anything?

Have a wonderful day...

scotju said...

dymphna, a lot of nursing homes won't take demented people like your uncle, because some demented people can be very dangerous to the staff and their fellow patients. Here in Illinois, we had some terrible incidents where demented people committed physical and sexual assaults upon both staff and patients in nursing homes, and one patient even broke out, stoled a car, and ran over and killed somebody. depending how bad off both your relatives are, you may end up having to place them in a mental institution, instead of a nursing home.

Dymphna said...

Oh dear Lord, Scotju. I'll ask the admissions people about this tomorrow.

Adrienne said...

Dymphna - all good nursing homes have an Alzheimer section which is secure so the patients don't wander off.

I have no idea of what scotju is talking about. I brought communion to nursing homes for years and always visited the Alzheimer ward. Demented is not exactly the word I would use.

It will all work out. Promise!

scotju said...

Adrienne and Dymphna, the comment that I made was based on problems we were having in Illinois afew years ago. Most of the nursing homes we have in my state do have an Alzheimer's ward, but we had a very serious problem with the health care bureacrats here who would place difficult to treat mental patients in nursing homes. This was being done because many of our state hospitals were being closed. Many of these patients were very ill and required very close supervision. However, many of the nurses didn't have any training in dealing with the needs of the mentally ill, and to add insult to injury, the state sometimes didn't tell the nursing home administrators the full extent of the person's illness. As a result, patients who should have been closely supervised in a locked ward were put in the general population, and the tragedies I already described happened. I hope things are better in your state, for the sake of your sick relations.

Steve T. said...

That nice boy Tim Tebow devotes his resources to rescuing Filipinos from the errors of Papism. Maybe not so nice.