Monday, February 20, 2012

The Confiteor

I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and in what I have failed to do,
through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault;
therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
all the Angels and Saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.
 
 
The Confiteor is one of the most amazing prayers in the history of mankind. It's a socially rebellious prayer-- it flies in the face of everything we're constantly told by the world. When we pray it we stand up and admit that we were wrong-- not "It's not my fault, Lord, I was raised badly, " or "Everybody was doing it so I went along." The Confiteor demands that we strip bare all the lies, excuses and avenues of escape admit that we sinned.