Sunday, April 24, 2022

random thoughts on a Sunday night

  • So  how was your Divine Mercy Mass?  Father preached at some considerable length about the very great sufferings of Pope John Paul II and Sr. Faustina  but  he also mentioned  the Gospel reading. Poor Rocky was so tired from work that he dozed off a few times. I only nudged him awake because if he'd started snoring everybody would have heard it. The Divine Mercy image was not brought out this year, nor  was the chaplet prayed before or during Mass. Compared to  Divine Mercy masses of yesteryear this was pretty toned down. I think the devotion is quietly fading in the United States. 


  •  My brother-in-law loves Disney so much that he used to go once or twice a year. To each his own... and it was his money to do as he pleased and none of my business  but I couldn't fathom it. I still can't. The You Tube videos of squealing adults gong to Disney as if it's a pilgrimage site used to be strike me as weird but harmless now they seem decidedly unhealthy. 


  • I have no desire to watch "The Chosen".  The trailers and still photos just had a strong Protestant/Mormon vibe to me and as it turns out it's blasphemous.  It also makes the Lord a sweet, lovable goofball. I despise that as much as I loathe the girly pink-cheeked and doe eyed images of Our Lord. 


  • I've noticed something rather interesting. When Rocky and I drive through the wealthy parts of Northern Virginia we see Ukrainian flags in front of the mansions. There are a few in the middle class neighborhoods and none to be seen the working class or poor neighborhoods. 


  • St. John the Evangelist was special among the Apostles. Perhaps it was due to his youth and innocence. He was the one out of all the Apostles who was entrusted with protecting Our Lady after the Crucifixion. When he had his vision of Our Lord on the isle of Patmos, he, a very old man did not greet Jesus familiarly. He threw himself to the ground and prostrated himself before God. I try to think about that when I pass by the Blessed Sacrament or when faced with a priest or deacon who wants to give me Communion in the hand.